Yesterday I was thankful for my car. It started snowing Saturday night, A LOT! I had to be at work at 6:00 am on Sunday. I was not looking forward to a nights sleep stressing about the drive only to wake up and actually have drive on the icy roads. I decided to drive to the airport Saturday night and sleep in my car. Wayne put a mattress in the back for me and 3 sleeping bags. I drove to the airport, slept like a baby, woke up and went to work. There were 6 of us working that morning, myself and one other were the only ones on time.
Today I am thankful for overprotective schools. Dillon slipped this morning on ice before school. That is all I know for sure. After that I am told: as he walked into the cafeteria he was holding on to the walls for support and had a bloody nose. The school called, I was at work, and said that they felt that he needed to go home and be monitored and possibly go to the doctor. They said he was feeling nauseated (Who knew that Dillon knew what nauseated meant?). Work let me go home early and use some of my sick days (that I have been collecting and have never used). I picked him up and other than a nasty scrape on his head, seemed fine. I get to have this time to spend writing this blog and watching clone wars with Dillon.
Monday, November 16, 2009
Posted by Amy at 9:24 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I am loving the thankful blog. Keep it coming. It is so good to hear about your everyday encounters. I miss you!
Seriously, snow days and slipping on the ice days! The kids must love it! :) I'm glad you were able to go home and be with him. Love you lots!
I hope you let everyone know the sacrifice you made of "sleeping" in your car in the freezing cold to be on time to your job. That definitely deserves a RAISE!
Yikes- bloody nose from a slip. That is a bummer.
I am LOVING the day to day events of your life. It inspires me to write my own... or at least get Chuck to "guest post" it for me! :)
Your dedication to being on time shows your commitment to being the best employee possible. That is a story that should be told for years to come by your kids and grandkids as they teach their children about the value of hard work. I will be telling it to my kids.
Can you imagine what the company would be like if everybody had that commitment? Not to mention that you are a part-time employee.
It fires me up that the silly (euphemism for what I am really thinking) union system doesn't reward such commitment with a merit-based system of terminations, furloughs, promotions, or pay raises. Instead, the strongest factor they consider is who rudely cut in line on the first day of training to submit their paperwork because then they would have seniority by a matter of minutes. It is no wonder that the companies with such a system are failing in customer service, on time standards, and their financial numbers.
You should be praised for your dedication.
Post a Comment